Your Subtitle text
Immigration Services


What does it take to get a Canadian Passport? 

Skilled workers are selected as permanent residents based on their education, work experience, knowledge of English and/or French, and other criteria that have been shown to help them become economically established in Canada.
Applications for Federal skilled workers received on or after February 27, 2008 are now assessed for eligibility according to a set of criteria issued by the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism.

The minimum requirements are met through arranged employment or having lived in Canada as a temporary foreign worker or an international student for one year or you are a skilled worker with one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed.
Also, you must have at least one year of continuous full time paid employment in the last 10 years with work experience in Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) as per the Canadian NOC list.

If you meet the above requirements, your application is processed based on the following six selection factors:
•    your education
•    your abilities in English and/or French, Canada’s two official languages
•    your work experience
•    your age
•    whether you have arranged employment in Canada, and
•    your adaptability.

The total score that you need to obtain is 67 points.  You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.


Persons who immigrate to Canada under the Provincial Nominee Program have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They are ready to establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada.

Canadian Provinces have an agreement with the Government of Canada that allows them to nominate immigrants who wish to settle in that province. If you choose to immigrate to Canada as a provincial nominee, you must first apply to the province where you wish to settle and complete its provincial nomination process; the criteria is different for each province. The province will consider your application according to its immigration needs and your genuine intention to settle there and your qualifications.

After you have been nominated by a province or territory, you have to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations.

You will have to pass a medical examination and security and criminal checks. You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada.

Provincial nominees are not assessed on the six selection factors of the Federal Skilled Workers Program.


Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) knows it is important to help families who come from other countries to reunite in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent child (including adopted child) or other eligible relative (such as a parent or grandparent) to become a permanent resident.

CIC refers to the immigrants who are eligible to use this family sponsoring process as the Family Class.

If you become a permanent resident, you can live, study and work in Canada.  After your arrival in Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own and family’s needs.

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives and ensure your spouse or relative does not need to seek financial assistance from the government.

A citizen or permanent resident in Canada can apply as a sponsor.

There are two different processes for sponsoring your family; one process for sponsoring your spouse, conjugal or common-law partner and/or dependent children and the second process is for sponsoring other eligible relatives.


You can sponsor parents, grandparents, brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship, another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below) and accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

Other relatives, such as brothers and sisters over 18, or adult independent children cannot be sponsored. However, if they apply to immigrate under the Skilled Worker Class, they may get extra points for adaptability for having a relative in Canada.


Refugees and people needing protection are people in or outside Canada who fear returning to their home country. In keeping with its humanitarian tradition and international obligations, Canada provides protection to thousands of people every year.

Canada offers refugee protection to people in Canada who fear persecution or whose removal from Canada would subject them to a danger of torture, a risk to their life or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

Groups and individuals can sponsor refugees from abroad who qualify to come to Canada.